Tomato Rice (Domatesli Pilav)by Berk Bahceci
- 1 1/2 cups medium-grain rice
- 2 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup butter
- 3/8 cup onion, finely chopped
- Scant 1 cup meat stock, boiling
- 1 cup fresh tomato juice, boiling
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Put the rice into a large bowl, add 2 teaspoons of the salt and pout over 4 1/4 cups boiling water.
- Soak for 1 hour at room temperature. Drain and rinse the rice under cold running water, until the water runs clear.
- Drain the rice in a colander for 5 minutes.
- Heat the butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat, add the rice and remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt and sauté for 7 minutes, stirring gently.
- Add the onions and sauté for 3 minutes. Add the meat stock, tomato juice and black pepper and cook, covered for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, tightly cover the pan with a dish towel, then seal tight with the pan lid. Wrap the entire pan in another dish towel and rest for 10 minutes.
- Unwrap the pilaf, stir gently and serve.