Stuffed Collard Greens (Karalahana Sarmasi)by Berk Bahceci
- 40 (3x4 inch) collard greens leaves
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup cracked hominy corn
- 1 1//3 cups ground veal brisket
- 3 medium onions, finely sliced
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp dried mint
- 2 dill sprigs, finely sliced
- 4 pre-roasted bones from veal brisket, flesh on
- Cook the collard greens leaves in 8 1/2 cups water for 5 minutes, then drain and set aside.
- To make the stuffing, first rinse the hominy corn. Mix the corn, veal, onions, red pepper flakes, dried mint and dill in a bowl or tray. Season with 1/2 tsp black pepper and 1/4 tsp salt. Divide the mixture into 40 equal parts.
- Spread a collard greens leaf out on a work surface, veins facing up. Spread a line of stuffing along the longer side. Roll the leaf around the stuffing for one full turn, then fold in the sides and continue rolling. Arrange the roasted veal bones at the bottom of a saucepan, cover with the leftover collard greens leaves, then arrange the stuffed rolls on top.
- Heat 4 1/4 cups water along with the butter and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a saucepan for 5 minutes. Pour over the rolls. Cover most of the surface areas with an inverted plate. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat and cook, covered, for 1 hour. Serve.